gravity fed kitchen taps

Avatar Image
Catcat | 21:11 Thu 21st Jun 2007 | Home & Garden
3 Answers
I am an absolute novice needing sorting regarding taps!

When looking at brochures for choosing a single mixer kitchen tap with spout, and knowing I have a gravity fed system (hot water cylinder on 1st floor and header tank in loft above) how do I ensure I choose the right taps? The brochure mentions min 1 bar and max 5 bar but I dunno if that is suitable for a gravity fed system?

I have had a new kitchen installed and the hot water flow is pathetic with a capital P and the fitters tell me all sorts of porkies ("it's an italian design, they have smaller holes" being one!) but from research I've worked out that they have fitted a tap suitable for a combi system. Idiots!

However, I need to ensure I chose the right sort of taps as the kitchen fitters say they won't change it again if it turns out to have the same sort of flow!



1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Catcat. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
It is right about the smaller holes. Nearly all mixer taps are fed by 10ml pipe which screws into base of tap. The actual internal bore at its least is about 2/3 mill. You would be better off with separate taps which have a much larger internal bore straight onto 15ml pipework.
Question Author
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately we cannot have separate taps as we have a new sink that caters for just one hole. Since posting, it has transpired that I need mixer tap that's suitable for low pressure system.

Re the issue of the smaller holes, I thought the smaller hole was suitable for combination boiler systems (of which mine isn't). the fitter said it was smaller because it was an Italian design!

An independent plumber I spoke to over the phone said we required a "bi-flow" what ever that means. Do you know?

sorry, not sure, try a "google". all the best

1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Do you know the answer?

gravity fed kitchen taps

Answer Question >>

Related Questions