SIGN UP

Mould Smell

Avatar Image
tiggerblue10 | 08:55 Tue 18th Aug 2020 | Home & Garden
54 Answers
I've got a mortgage surveyor coming round tomorrow but there's been a mould smell coming from a cupboard under the stairs for a number of years. My dad has tried to locate the source of the smell but we can't see where it is.

Any ideas on what could be causing it and how I get rid of the smell?

Answers

1 to 20 of 54rss feed

1 2 3 Next Last

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by tiggerblue10. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Febreze ?
have you taken up floorboards? had a proper damp survey?
Question Author
They were taken up many years ago when I had my kitchen done but nothing was found. The smell was there before then.
Question Author
I did put a Neutradol thing in there but that just got mixed up with the smell and made it worse.
Moulds like damp and dark...there must be some dampness somewhere there and, of course, it's dark.
It's never going to be eliminated in 24 hours!
tigger possibly damp is there any ventilation in the cupboard? I would wash it down and leave the door ajar.
Question Author
I've got one of those condensation units in there at the moment but the smell has now become even more prominent.
What do you keep in the cupboard, Tiggs?
Question Author
The door is open and the kitchen door is open so hopefully the smell will disperse.
For a short term fix I'd light a few candles in there and leave the door open for a bit.
Question Author
Mostly jars, tins, cartons on shelves and a few storage boxes with non food stuff in them. Vacuum etc.
Question Author
Will definitely be lighting some candles! :o)
I presume you've taken everything out and wiped everything down? Checked the tins, jars and cartons? Does the vacuum need a new filter?

Just trying to help here. :-)
Question Author
The smell has been present since I moved in Tilly, and I've had clearouts a number of times.
OK, Tiggs. Good luck with masking the smell.
Question Author
Going to stick a lemon scented candle in there overnight and hopefully it lasts until the surveyor does their bit and goes...!
Have you tried a mould and mildew killer? I use a Tesco one and it's really good. I use it for the bathroom and it's better than any other cleaners I've used. In the meantime I would use Dettol or Zoflora, neat.
Try, cutting a lemon in half sprinkle some sea salt on the two halves, leave them in the cupboard to absorb the musty smell.
Hope that works.
Don't leave a lit candle.
Your mould smell.. Is it a bit like mushrooms.

1 to 20 of 54rss feed

1 2 3 Next Last

Do you know the answer?

Mould Smell

Answer Question >>