Cooker Won't Stay Lit

Avatar Image
DarceyK123 | 10:19 Mon 16th Apr 2018 | Home & Garden
20 Answers
I have a Belling double gas oven,
Was working fine but today the big oven won't stay lit when I let the button go. The other small oven is fine.

Any ideas?


1 to 20 of 20rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by DarceyK123. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
The thermocouple will need replacing. Each burner has a thermocouple to ensure that the gas supply is cut off if the flame goes out.
Question Author
Ok thanks, is it a big job? Suppose a Gas engineer is required?
I'm not familiar with your oven, so I don't know how big a job it will be for you. I changed the thermocouple on my CH boiler some years ago - the thermocouple cost about £5 and it was a simple job (I'm not sure how legal it would be now with new gas regulations).
As far as I know it is legal on a cooker, with a boiler requiring removal of front cover then probably not.
As always, you need to take care of safety first. Locate the main gas supply valve that supplies the oven with gas. This valve is normally situated on the main gas pipeline which goes into the oven’s regulator gas valve. Generally, the valve will have an open/close diagram on it. So turn the valve in a way that it is perpendicular to the main pipe.

After that, you need to search for the oven’s gas regulator. This is a metal unit shaped like a square and is installed at the back of the gas oven. You can easily locate it by following the main gas pipeline that goes into the back.

In this step, you will be locating the main thermocouple. It is situated at the end of a copper tube which is fastened to the oven’s gas regulator by a small nut. This tube runs into the oven’s body. Take an adjustable wrench, loosen the nut, and remove the copper tubing from the gas regulator.

The head of the thermocouple is installed at the end of the copper tube you just removed; this head is generally fitted near the oven’s burner with a regular clip that has been screwed securely or with a gravity clip. You will have to identify the type of clip you have by examining the base. Don’t forget to use a torch to brighten the area.

Once the thermocouple is located, use a screwdriver to unscrew the screws which hold the thermocouple in place. Pull out the clip carefully so as not to break it, and detach the thermocouple. If there are no screws present, you can directly, but carefully pull the head of the thermocouple out.

Assuming you have already bought the new thermocouple, replace the faulty thermocouple with the new one, clean any dirt or grime in the surrounding area, and tighten the screws. In some cases, the new thermocouple won’t come with a clip. Hence, you can reuse the old clip for the new one. Reattach the copper tube to the regulator unit by tightening the nu
i had the same issue a while ago with my canon cooker - the part - thermocouple - was about £55 but reading about the fitting - i saw that if you have to interrupt the gas system in any way then its a corgi registered engineer that must do the work.
Because of the cost of that on top of the part I just bought a new cooker.
This - or check ur cooker on youtube

You do not need to interrupt the gas flow to change a thermocouple.
I can find a therocouple for under £10.
donny - do you know if the cooker will take a universal thermocouple or does it have a model-specific one? If it's universal you can easily get from from, say Screwfix. Incidentally, I just looked on their website and they do two, ordinary and super, whatever the difference is, which cost £5.69 and £8.99; it also says fit most BOILERS and should be fitted by a Gas Safe registered installer.
My CH boiler's tcouple (£2) lasts approx 3y & mains gas is never turned off to fit a new tc. If I can fit it - you can too ;)
I agree Tambo - the tip is in the flame and there is no interference with the gas supply at all, which is why the comment by Screwfix confuses me. Incidentally, I've only had to change mine twice in 35 years.
I have always used universal, they are a very simple thing.
bhg, fitting to a boiler requires you to remove the boiler front cover and this is assumed to interfere with the supply of air and therefore requires gas-safe.
My boiler is a Zanussi with pull off front. No air flow from front.
basically if you remove the boiler case and can see the boilers internals like the fan, gas valve, heat exchanger then you have broken into the combustion system. There will be a seal that sits and seals this area when the case is on. If you take the case off and there is a big metal box which requires a second case to be open'd then your fine.

anything gas related which includes the combustion system and its seals, flue and air supply must only be worked upon by a gas safe engineer by law.
Cobblars donny - take this ;)

Tamborine, as I say by law you should whether you or I do different is up to us.
We have wandered from the point which is on a cooker it is legal and quite simple to DIY.
Question Author
OH blimey, think i will leave it to the professionals!

Thanks for all your help as always.
You probably need to put sixpence in the meter.

1 to 20 of 20rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Cooker Won't Stay Lit

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Avatar Image