Ventilation Problems In Bedroom

Avatar Image
bonnie&clyde | 12:48 Wed 27th May 2015 | Home & Garden
9 Answers
I have damp problems on the outside wall of my bedroom each winter and this year have decided to sort it out. What would you recommend? Would I need one/two air bricks putting in? I'm not sure what other options there would be.

In case it helps the house was built 1915 with high ceilings and the bedroom is a decent size.

Thank you for any help you can give.


1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Avatar Image
Is it a garage ;-) Posted in Motoring.
13:03 Wed 27th May 2015
Is it a garage ;-) Posted in Motoring.
Do you have heating in the room eg a radiator? You need to ensure ventilation, most easily by leaving a window open as much as possible. I know this is counter-intuitive in cold weather but the water vapour in the room's air has to escape to the outside if you are to avoid condensation on inner walls.

Up the heating in that room, perhaps be keeping the heating on or plugging in a little oil-filled radiator.

The solution I have found utterly ineffective is dehumidifiers - unless you have a weapons-grade one, which sound like a plane landing, so probably not what you want.

Are you sure the problem is condensation from inside and not a leaky room / cracked gutter or downspout? Worth checking.
Good stuff from Moses. Do check guttering first - if there is any on that wall.

For ventilation - assuming there's a roofspace directly above the bedroom - a fixed vent in the ceiling, ducted through the roof covering would be a good one.
Question Author
Sorry about putting this in motoring - I'd put in a wuestion about a tax disk before this
Keeping the Ed on his toes is never a bad thing, thanks for BA.
Question Author
Q: The Builder. Any guide on how much the vent would cost and what trade I would get a quote from?
A simple plastic or aluminium vent & ducting hose would cost only a few pounds. A vent slate for the roof - maybe £20-25. Then you have to get up on the roof.

Allow £100 if roof access is easy. Could be more if it gets fiddly. You'd need either a roofer or any general builder.

The trouble with houses built in that period is that they are so cold. Probably solid brick construction. It's a well-known problem. It was Ok when we lived with a good draught, but today, cold walls attract condensation.

I dealt with one recently by fixing battens to the outside wall, board insulation between the battens, then plasterboard & skim. Re-fix the skirting board and you're done. Not a big job at all, but it raises the comfort level in the room considerably.
Does the house have double glazed windows fitted ? I have found the simple answer is to have the windows in the room affected on night vent at all times which allows slight flow of air to outside.
Question Author
Thank you. I've got double glazing but no vents. I think it'll be a job I'll have to get done by a roofer

1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Ventilation Problems In Bedroom

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.