Air lock in plumbing pipes

Avatar Image
Lurcher100 | 15:56 Mon 29th Aug 2011 | Home & Garden
11 Answers
Helo everybody,for some time now when the toilet (upstairs) is flushed there is a very loud noise as the cistern fills.This is lessened a little by running the sink taps.How do i cure this ? Thankyou all in advance.


1 to 11 of 11rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Lurcher100. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Could you describe the noise?
Question Author
The noise is like a very low bass note played on a brass instrument with some vibrating.
Try this:
1. turn off water at mains stop tap.
2. open all cold taps until water ceases to flow.
3. close every tap approx. two-thirds, then turn on water at stop tap.
4. adjust taps to get a small, even flow of water.
5. start at the bottom/lowest floor of house, and turn every tap until they are all half open, then all three-quarters open.
6. this should allow air to spurt out of the taps.
7. when water is flowing without spurting of air, turn off every tap in rotation, until only a dribble flows out.
8. close all taps.

Sorry I was so long at getting back; my computer is playing up.
Dirt in the valve seating.
It will not be air in the pipes, virtually impossible to get air into a cold mains feed. The rubber valve will not be seating properly against the inlet nipple, more than likely a piece of grit is there. Turn water off, dismantle valve assembly, clean and replace.
As Xpert has said, it's not likely to be an airlock. Try replacing the ballvalve on the inlet. If it's not that, then probably "water hammer"......... ie excess water pressure that causes an inlet valve to oscillate wildy under the pressure. If so, fit one of these ..................
Or simply turn the mains tap down untill it stops.
Mine is only open a little beause of this but the pressure is fine.
You say 'for some time now'. Can we assume then that it has not always done this?
Replace cistern ball-valve first.
Damp down rising main stopcock.
It's water hammer.
Question Author
Thanks everyone.
Magnetic lock is also commonly known as mag locks, it consists of an armature plate and a electromagnet, widely used in industry. A locksmith open the door is a magnet for the installation of prevent in any form of tampering with the device. At the same time, the armature plate installation in the door face so the work mechanism together efficiently.

1 to 11 of 11rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Air lock in plumbing pipes

Answer Question >>

Related Questions