Renting my Flat Out - Electrical Safety Certificate?

Avatar Image
countrykid | 19:29 Sat 28th Apr 2012 | Property
5 Answers
I am going to be renting my flat out, and am aware I need a certificate from a Gas Safe engineer to confirm my central heating boiler/Flue and Gas Cooker are safe etc. Do I need something similar regarding the house electrics. I will not be leaving or supplying any electrical appliances.


1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by countrykid. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
you will require a periodic inspection report for an existing installation or an installation report for a new installation. these ARE requirements for landlords
you will also require the installation of **(hard wired)** smoke detectors
There is currently no statutory requirement to have annual safety checks on electrical equipment as there is with gas, but its advisable to do so as you can still be liable if things go wrong.
Should any electrical fittings within your rental property cause harm to a tenant you could be held liable.
Under Common Law and various statutory regulations: The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, The Housing Act 2004, The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, and the Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, both of which come under the Consumer Protection Act 1987, there is an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe.
Question Author
Many thanks. It is my intention to play safe and be sure, so will contact an electrical re the periodic inspection report. Regarding somoke detectors, the landlord - which is the local council, recently installed a new fire alarm system in the building, with fire detectors in communal areas, and each flat having a fire alarm fitted to the ceiling in the kitchen, and a smoke detector in the hall. These are not "Hard Wired" but I'd like to think that as these have been installed in all the flats, and some are still rented from the council, that they satisfy the regulations regarding this. Hope so.
Technitab Solution is providing you the best range of Testing and Commissioning Services all over the world. Our services are Electrical Testing & Commissioning Services, Pre-Commissioning Test Services of Substation Equipment, Testing Services with effective & timely delivery.

1 to 5 of 5rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Renting my Flat Out - Electrical Safety Certificate?

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.