How To Make Mash Spreadable.?

cleoval | 17:55 Fri 05th Mar 2021 | Food
Hi I am making mash for Cottage Pie but I cannot get it to spread in the dish.it is in clumps and a spoon doesn't seem to help.Any tips please? Thanks.

Answers

1 2 Next Last

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by cleoval. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Add a small amount of warmed milk.
did you add milk to the mash?
Yes but it wasn't very warm.Was that my mistake.? What does the milk do.?
Whip your mash as much as you can, put it on the meat in individual large spoonfuls , spread with a small pallet knife
have you already spread the mash onto the meat?
the milk should be added before you do that. it makes the
consistency more easily spreadable
Alternatively make a piping bag from a plastic food bag or baking parchment and pipe it on.
Mash well with some butter and milk and some seasoning
I always put mine on hot
If you have let the mash go cold it will clump, needs to be warm to spread.
What Bobbs said.
You need warm mash and cold filling, otherwise the mash will sink. You haven't put enough milk and butter in to your hot mash
I don't spread it, as such. I use two dessert spoons to put it on then use a fork to finish it off
a little milk and butter quick on the hob then add to mash simple as a liitle black pepper while your at it.
You're not my ex, are you. Her mash was always lumpy :-(
milk, butter, fork
i have a feeling cloeval (from previous posts) doesnt want to put butter or milk in. I would use a whisk
Thanks everyone for your quick helpful answers.x
I cheat and use ready made mash from the supermarket when I do my Indian Shepherds Pie. Spreads really easily.
Thanks Edmund's.x
did it work?

1 2 Next Last

How To Make Mash Spreadable.?