How To Make Yorkshire Pudding Rise & Recipes.?

cleoval | 01:49 Sun 25th Oct 2020 | Food
Hi How Can I make my Yorkshire Puddings Rise.They are always flat.is it because I have a Fan Oven.? Any tried and tested recipes to give me would be great.Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by cleoval. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

The fan won't help. My oven can has a non-fan setting, yours probably does too
No its not because you have a fan oven. You need a HOT oven, a HOT tin with HOT preheated oil in it. Don't mess around when putting the batter in the tin because it allows the oil to cool. Don't open the oven door until they are done.
I have to agree with woofgang. I have a fan oven and do the same as I did when I did not have it. Plenty of air in mixture too.
Let Aunt Bessie make them
Aunt Bessie's are horrible.
I heat my tin and oil for 15 mins at 200 degrees and they are still flat.I do not open the oven door while cooking either.It is a mystery!
A recipe I've recently tried includes adding a small amount of vodka to the batter, with I think does help a little in the rising process, although the key is getting hot fat and hot trays etc.

When I was a child in Yorkshire, my Mother would make the batter the night before.
We always ate it as a starter. She would also grate onion into the mixture.
I use 1/3 cold water and2/3 milk. Drop of oil in the mixture. Prepare ahead and keep in fridge for as long as possible before using. I also use coconut oil as the oil in the cooking pan, use less than normal oil or marge. Preheat oven to 250 pour in quickly and keep door closed
200 degrees is not hot enough, but I suggest you put an oven thermometer in there to see what the temperature really is.
Can't remember where I found this recipe, but here we go:

Ingredients:

250g plain flour
3/4 tsp salt (approx 3.5-4 grammes)
150 ml milk
100 ml water
50 ml vodka
4 eggs (large)

Method:

1. Place flour and salt into a large bowl, add milk, water and vodka, and whisk well until blended together smoothly.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, and whisk each in fully, again ensuring a smooth mixture with lots of air in.
3. Set aside, cover, and presumably you can prepare this mixture well in advance.
4. Set oven to Gas 8 (230 Celsius, or 210 in a fan oven), and heat baking tins suitable for yorkshire pudding (ie with circular cavities) for 20 minutes.
5. Add approx. 1tsp of beef dripping or other fat (eg coconut oil) per hole.
6. Return to oven for at least 4 minutes, possibly longer.
7. Add batter mix quickly, ensuring that each hole is at least 3/4 full.
8. Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Turn over, return to oven for 5 minutes until crisp.

This recipe makes between eight and 12 large puddings, or maybe twice as many small ones, so you will probably want to have at least two Yorkshire tins.
barry makes a good point. my oven is hotter than the dial says, my sister's is cooler. an oven thermoeter is cheap as chips.
200 degrees is never hot enough. Crank up your oven to maximum temp.
Are you using equal measures of flour, milk, eggs?
It may be an idea to try it with a batter mix rather than make it yourself. You'll know then whether the oven is the cause or your recipe.
cleoval On the link I put on, there's also a short video showing how to make the Yorkshires. Were you able to click onto it?