Rotten Cucumbers?

cleoval | 18:44 Wed 26th Jun 2019 | Food
Hi I wonder if anybody can give any cucumber tips please. I always buy cucumber with the cling film on and put it straight in the fridge, but it goes off quickly and goes wet and soggy! How do you keep it fresh for a few days please.? Thanks.

Answers

1 2 Next Last

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by cleoval. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Do you remove the plastic wrap? You should.
Take plastic covering of and put it in a brown paper bag.
Regardless it should last longer than a few days
For a short while I used to live on cheese & cucumber sandwiches.

The cucumbers would easily last a week when placed in a fridge, however I did notice that if the fridge became too cold, causing the cucumber to freeze, this would immediately spoil the cucumber – therefore I’d recommend you increase the fridge temperature by 2 or 3 degrees.
I think Hymie has got it - they are getting too cold. Put them in the salad drawer so they can't get in contact with the chilling panel at the back.
As cucumbers are a great percentage of water chilling them is not a good idea. Best if need be put in salad draw. But it’s an old saying if a product it’s sold out of a freezer chiller, that’s where you keep them.
Buy half ( Tesco) ... at least you got yours home. I seemed to have lost mine between buying it and getting home, where did it go :0?
Or ... go halves with the price of one with someone!
I loathe with a vengeance that cling film on cucumbers. It takes me longer to get it off than it does to eat the flaming thing. To me they look like giant phalluses complete with condom.
LOL! The check out girls are often in giggles.
I buy most stuff in halves as I live on my own and the rest just goes to waste. Half cucumber, half cabbage, quarter melon. I find that supermarkets generally only cater for families, not single people.
A cucumber has it's own protective coating called skin.
Why they need to be shrink wrapped, as lots of food items are these days, stumps me.
I eat the skin of a cucumber. Peeled and sliced with chopped onion soaked in vinegar a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of sugar a little water. Leave for two days. Delicious on cheese sandwich. Very moreish.
Ozzy...they last longer according to one of those foodie programmes.
'ealth and safetee it is, gone mad....cucumbers are dangerous weapons and wrapping them in shrink-wrap gives them a little extra cushion to help protect the victim when he/she is struck by one....
It's pronounced 'water melon', Jackdaw. :-)
"Ozzy...they last longer according to one of those foodie programmes."

Yet some say they last longer if you take the plastic off.
Just eat the bloody things! If you buy it, then eat it; don't put it in long-term storage.
we can't all get to the shops every day, Atheist; hoping to keep something for a few days before eating it isn't unusual. In fact we did it even before we had a fridge. (Some decades ago, obviously.)
This suggests (after removing the cling film) wrapping cucumbers in kitchen towel before putting them into a plastic bag and storing them in your fridge:
https://www.melaniecooks.com/how-to-store-cucumbers-to-keep-fresh-longer/1311/

1 2 Next Last

Rotten Cucumbers?