Gazumping - contracts and house buying.

Avatar Image
buckaroo2 | 09:14 Fri 21st Apr 2006 | Business & Finance
1 Answers
This question is prompted by the reports of an increase in the number of house buyers that are 'gazumped'. I recall a TV programme many years ago suggesting that the buyer/vendor sign a contract saying they agree to the house sale/purchase with each side putting a deposit to be held by a third party (or something along these lines). The idea being that the buyer wouldn't lose any money paid out for surveys etc if the seller accepted a higher offer.
Has anyone encountered anything similar? Or has anyone asked the seller to sign a similar contract/agreement?


Only 1 answerrss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by buckaroo2. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
If you are the buyer, I think it is a good idea, because the majority of the risk is on the buyer during the period up to exchange of contracts (in England and Wales I am talking). Use one of the two solicitors to hold the deposits in escrow. I've never actually done it but I have suggested it. In the end, it is all about trust - if one is able to maintain a personal relationship with the seller during the 'difficult' period of waiting up to exchange, they are perhaps less likely to pull out. But there is still an element of risk.

Only 1 answerrss feed

Do you know the answer?

Gazumping - contracts and house buying.

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.