Online Sellers Saving Card Details

Prudie | 18:18 Thu 21st Jan 2021 | Business & Finance
If you make a one-off or occasional purchase from an online seller are they actually allowed to store your credit card details for future purchases without you asking for them to save it?

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Prudie. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

good question - I don't think it's allowed under EU data protection laws, but I don't know what the position here is now.
Not as far as I know. They need to keep it for a certain amount of time (in a secure server and encrypted) such as when you buy a ticket which is then refunded at a later date but for future purchases, you are supposed to give your permission for that.
For major sellers, stores etc. you are asked if you want your card details saved. I don't usually use independent sellers but I would not have thought the tree digit security number would be saved
It can all be saved (including the 3 digit security number) but only if you give your permission.
There is something called payment gateway that prevents shops from initiating online frauds. Payment gateways are registered at a legal license, so if there is a scam, the victim has right to file a complaint against the payment gateway.
I pay as much as I can via PayPal. I don’t need to give out my details then.
I have searched google myself and still can't find a definitive answer
My answer was only from the data protection training that we have to do every year. I don't know what Google says but no, they can't use store your payment details for future payments unless you consent to that.
I am going to pursue investigating but this is the background:
I had to but a one-off unusual item for work from a UK website with my work credit card. I checked out as a guest. No problem with the item but now a couple of months later I had a call from their sales team pushing a quarterly catalogue that came with discounts. I would have 14 days from the first free issue to cancel and thereafter would be £18 odd taken from my card details per quarter. At this point I said how come you have my card details you're not supposed to save them and the response was 'that's the way we work'. I don't know if they legitimately can.
Prudie, as I understand your post you would have had to sign up for the new offer and that would mean entering the card details again.
This is from the Guardian, March 2009.
//Alarmingly, according to the Association of Payment Clearing Services, companies can keep customer card details indefinitely, provided that they are stored safely and not misused. \\

Online Sellers Saving Card Details