Working Abroad - Tax

Avatar Image
Hopkirk | 08:43 Sat 10th Mar 2018 | Personal Finance
9 Answers
My son will be working abroad for a few months, paid in the local currency

Will HMRC have any claim on his earnings when abroad, if he pays income tax in that country?


1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Hopkirk. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
If your son remains a "resident" of the UK he may well have to. Some countries do have a "double taxation agreement with the UK" which means he may well not have to pay tax in both countries.

Have a read of this link, it provides most of the information he may need.
And I think he should keep HMRC informed for NI contribution reasons.
Will he be working in Country that is a member of the EU?.
Question Author
Thanks all.

He isn't currently a taxpayer, being a postgraduate student. This is quite a long reasonably well paid placement in a none EU country. I presume he will be taxed there, and it would feel unfair if then pays income tax a second time.

Presumably if he never tells HMRC, and they don't ask, he might slip under the radar
Oh jeez hopkirk that could land him in a whole heap of trouble.
If this is the start of his working career then he needs to do it right otherwise this could come back to haunt him later - and HMRC always catch up with you sooner or later.
There are penalties for doing what you are suggesting.
Question Author
Yes, you're right of course.

He's only just been offered the placement. It's a highly reputable company, and I'm sure many others have passed through this before, so I expect they will give him good advice.
I suggest looking at the HMRC site.
If he decides not to declare it and then tries to bring money into the UK at a later date the banks will notify HMRC.
If he comes backs and works in the UK there will be a gap in NI contributions questions will be raised as he hasn't signed on.
I could go further - best case scenario if he is paying tax there he won't have to pay it here - worst case he will still have to pay some here - wouldn't it be better to be sure from the start.
Question Author
Reading vthe the link that you and Flonska supplied suggests he may be able to claim relief if taxed overseas. Thanks for your help everybody.

1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Working Abroad - Tax

Answer Question >>