Working Tax Credits

Avatar Image
jesmond | 11:42 Thu 17th Sep 2015 | Personal Finance
3 Answers
sisters husband has just left his job as he hated it and although she told him to try and carry on until he found something more suitable he has ignored her and left. he had been off recently with a back problem and went back briefly, he is still suffering with his back so has now handed in a sicknote and also his notice. she works for a care agency so her work fluctuates, and as he wont be entitled (she thinks) to any benefits she has asked me to ask on here if she can claim working tax credit. I haven't a clue about benefits but have tried to explain to her that he needs to look for another job but she says he has now retired aged 52 as he has worked long enough. I don't know what else to say to her so any help in much appreciated.


1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by jesmond. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
It may depend a little on how serious the back problems are, but assuming they are only temporary he's still entitled to claim Jobseekers' Allowance -- as long as he is seeking employment, that is, with more information available at the Jobcentre. That he left his previous job of his own choice is neither here nor there, and he should be encouraged to claim for that -- or, if possible in his area, Universal Credit (see link at the end of this answer).

Your sister can also consider applying for Universal Credit in the same way -- again, only if the couple lives near a jobcentre listed below. Of not, then Working Tax Credit may be available but the conditions for your sister are that she must work at least 30 hours per week and, otherwise, she should be able to claim regardless of income.

Just to be irritating, the above changes depending on whether or not you have any children (still living with you). But either way, encourage both to apply for benefits -- JSA for your sister's husband, and Working Tax Credit for your sister, or Universal Credit for both of them if possible.
I should say that based on a couple of quick checks on the government's calculator for WTC, your sister should only bother applying for Tax Credits if combined income for the last financial year was less than, say, £20,000. And even then the amount she'd be entitled to is probably £0. I think the thresholds for Working Tax Credit are fairly low (£18,000 at the last tiem it was set? I might be wrong).

Unless there is a young child in the home, that is, in which case they'd be entitled to Child Tax Credit, which you can claim basically regardless of income.
Question Author
sorry for late reply and many thanx for the info

1 to 3 of 3rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Working Tax Credits

Answer Question >>