SIGN UP

Would Love Sqads Opinion(And Anyone Else’s!!)

Avatar Image
Smowball | 16:07 Thu 09th Sep 2021 | Body & Soul
16 Answers
Was talking to a friend about pancreatitis/wine and it obviously is one of the worst things for it so she said what about alcohol free wine?? Not knowing the answer I asked a doctor friend who confessed he didn’t know so I did the usual (right or wrong lol Google search). Some say it’s absolutely fine as it’s less than 0.05% alcohol. Others say but its STILL alcohol even if it’s only 0.05%. What are your thoughts??

Answers

1 to 16 of 16rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Smowball. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
Alcohol has no effect on the development of pancreatitis.
Alcoholics don't have a predisposition to acute pancreatitis.

Once you have one attack of pancreatitis then alcohol in ANY form will irreversibly damage your pancreas.
Question Author
That’s interesting Sqad! I assumed they would.
SB - that sounds quite nice actually.
Have you had pancreatitis smow?
Question Author
I’ve actually got it now but we were looking into causes and alcohol came up, and gallstones, and I’m trying to remember the others, but I’ve lost internet for last few hours. She’s also had it but they never came up with an explanation either. Surely you can’t just ‘get it’??
Roughly 80% of people with acute pancreatitis have gall stones as the cause and in the other 20% the cause is unknown ( comes out of the blue), alcohol playing no part.
Question Author
Well I never! Thankyou for that Sqad.
Sorry sqad but your info is incorrect regarding alcohol consumption and pancreatitis. Taken from NHS England:

"It's not fully understood how alcohol causes the pancreas to become swollen (inflamed). One theory is that it causes enzymes inside the pancreas to start digesting it.

Whatever the cause, there is a clear link between alcohol use and acute pancreatitis.

Binge drinking – drinking a lot of alcohol in a short period of time – is also thought to increase your risk of developing acute pancreatitis."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/acute-pancreatitis/causes/
APG....as on many occasions, this included, I have disagreed with information on the NHS Website.
Sqad Then answer the question as if it your 'opinion' and not actually based on medical research. It is well documented that excessive alcohol consumption (people who consume four to five drinks a day) are at increased risk of pancreatitis. One risk factor, among many others, including obesity, gall stones and family history.
APG......ihave always made it clear throughout the 10+ years that I have been providing answers that they are indeed my opinion and may differ from that of the Internet.

AB is aware of that.

My opinion is based on personal communication, discussions with colleagues, meetings and reading.
Based on that, I formulate my own opinions w
Sorry

Which may or may not agree with other medical opinions.

That is the nature of the study of Medicine and Surgery.

AB know and I think respect this.
I didn’t wish to say anything earlier, I think I was aware acute/ chronic pancreatitis could have a link to alcohol. But as sqad says he is going with his experience .
well I'm going with reams and reams of well documented medical advice and research. No big deal though -anyone can check anything online, if they are worried or curious.
APG. I have no problem with that, the Oper can now make up her mind based on the posts offered.
:-)

1 to 16 of 16rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Would Love Sqads Opinion(And Anyone Else’s!!)

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.