Nhs Dental Charges Help

Avatar Image
barry1010 | 16:54 Tue 02nd Mar 2021 | Body & Soul
14 Answers
The tooth supporting a two tooth bridge has badly decayed and needs to be extracted. This means the bridge would have to be cut out leaving a three tooth gap.

My NHS dentist stated categorically that the NHS would not pay for such a large bridge and it would cost me £1200 instead of the £282,80 the NHS would charge.

I can't find this information on the internet nor can I find a phone number. Does anyone know if this is correct?


1 to 14 of 14rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by barry1010. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
"The NHS will provide all treatment that your dentist feels is clinically necessary to keep your teeth, gums and mouth healthy.

This means that if your dentist says that you "need" a particular type of treatment, it will be available on the NHS. You should not be asked to pay for it privately"


Therefore you should ask your dentist why he/she feels that you don't 'need' the larger bridge and what alternative he suggests might be appropriate for you. (If he/she can't suggest an alternative, then it would appear that he/she is recognising your 'need').
Question Author
The dentist does say I need the larger bridge but the NHS won't fund it, it would have to be private.
Question Author
Thinking about it, she did say I have two options - the large bridge paid for privately or a large gap
Then show him/her the web link and ask why he/she thinks that it doesn't apply in your case. The rule is simple; if you need the treatment it must be made available on the NHS.

If you're not happy with the response you get, all you can do is to complain
or simply find another dentist.
^...however, is the dentist going to argue that only the extraction is necessary to keep everything "healthy" - and that the larger bridge is only cosmetic?
the dentist has to make you "orally healthy" under the NHS contract. Unfortunately that description includes extraction and not replacing what was there, so in this case I think your dentist is correct. However, I would call your local community Patient advice and Liaison service, which is provided by your local CCG. Whan I worked there 50% of the calls were about dentists, so they are usually very knowledgable. They can also investigate if they think you are being ripped off (for nhs work)
Question Author
I think I will go to another dentist, it's not good when you lose trust in the person in charge of pulling your teeth out
I had a similar problem some years ago where my dentist tried to charge me and my wife private fees for some treatment. Had to sit down and have a discussion with her but she wouldn't budge. I then contacted the General Dental Council who in turn looked into the practice and the charges. It turned out that the practice had "used all of its NHS allocation" and tried to charge me private fees. The GDC found in my favour and tore the practice off a strip and told them to "swallow" the fees at the NHS rate themselves. We are still at the same practice btw, albeit with a different dentist. Hope this helps.
Question Author
Thanks, bednobs - good advice.
barry's 16.14 comment seems to agree with my 16.16 idea.
I think that the extraction counts as "treatment", but the bridge doesn't.
Question Author
Thanks, fbg
Question Author
bednobs, band 3 of the NHS charges includes crowns, bridges and dentures.
My private dentist only charged me £120 for loads of numbing and extracting back upper and lower molars.

Yes follow it up with GDC but do know that a bridge usually is known as a cosmetic thing.

Have a funny feeling when it is cosmetic - NHS pay half. Think I remember that when I was with my NHS dentist.
NHS no longer pay half for private work (if they ever did)

1 to 14 of 14rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Nhs Dental Charges Help

Answer Question >>

Related Questions

Sorry, we can't find any related questions. Try using the search bar at the top of the page to search for some keywords, or choose a topic and submit your own question.