Avatar Image
collareddove12 | 17:41 Mon 23rd Mar 2020 | Body & Soul
14 Answers
My daughter works in a hotel on a zero hour contract. She has no work at present - no-one booking! How does she claim benefit? She is also a chronic asthmatic and has neuropathy. So would it be sickness benefit as vulnerable or 'unemployed' although she has not been 'put off'? Neither of us really understands what she can claim just that she has no money coming in and we are helping her on our pension. Thank you. Sorry probably not the correct section


1 to 14 of 14rss feed

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by collareddove12. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.
She should be eligible for some benefits.
Look here
Question Author
Thanks Cloverjo
if she has been paid by pAYE and the employer sees no prospect of needing her in the next few months the employer should be talking to HMRC with a view to furloughing her so she could get 80% of February's pay each month for as long as the scheme runs. She should ask her agency
I have never come across that word before FF so thanks, I might well use it at some point for 'word of the week', it could become very relevant (in a work doc I put together).
Question Author
Thanks F2F she is not employed by an agency but directly with the hotel. I think from what you say she should be paid something through the company. Many thanks

phone the DWP Department of Work and Pensions
for advice...i will see if i can find a phone number,
also Citizens Advice Bureau can be a good source of info.
"furloughing her"???!! ff, do you mean temporarily laid off? Nobody in this country uses "furlough". Stop it.
>"furloughing her"???!! ff, do you mean temporarily laid off? Nobody in this country uses "furlough". Stop it.

I'll let the Chancellor and HMRC know they shouldn't have said it
CAB Adviceline: 03444 111 444
Question Author
Thanks Emmie
The word "furloughed" is in the guidance.

"Furloughed workers

If your employer cannot cover staff costs due to COVID-19, they may be able to access support to continue paying part of your wage, to avoid redundancies.

If your employer intends to access the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, they will discuss with you becoming classified as a furloughed worker. This would mean that you are kept on your employer’s payroll, rather than being laid off.

To qualify for this scheme, you should not undertake work for them while you are furloughed. This will allow your employer to claim a grant of up to 80% of your wage for all employment costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month.

You will remain employed while furloughed. Your employer could choose to fund the differences between this payment and your salary, but does not have to.

If your salary is reduced as a result of these changes, you may be eligible for support through the welfare system, including Universal Credit.

We intend for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to run for at least 3 months from 1 March 2020, but will extend if necessary."
The best I am hoping for is 80% since my employer will have no income whatsoever so can't top it up. They may even decide they can't afford to pay payroll/admin staff to do all the required paperwork/data entry . I hope the govt doesn't expect employers to pay employers' NI.

1 to 14 of 14rss feed

Do you know the answer?


Answer Question >>