SIGN UP

Cateract Operation

Avatar Image
malana3 | 18:43 Sat 26th Aug 2017 | Body & Soul
9 Answers
My relative is blind in his right eye and his left eye has developed a cataract. He has been offered a hospital appointment to have the cataract removed. In the waiting period he has become terrified with the thought that should the operation ' go wrong' he will be left totally blind. What is the success rate for this procedure and is it possible that a situation could arise that would confirm his worst fears. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Answers

1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Avatar Image
Operating on the only good eye is challenging both for patient and surgeon. The decision to operate should not be taken lightly and in this case there has been an in depth discussion. The success rate is 98% success. He is quite correct.....if anything goes wrong he WILL be totally blind, but the success rate is quoted above.
19:36 Sat 26th Aug 2017
This should reassure your husband

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cataract-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I know many people who have had successful cataract surgery and none where it has gone wrong. I wish him well
the infection or failure rate is very small
this is something he should discuss with the surgeon

no one I know has had any problem at all
( unlike knees and hips)
routine op... will be fine !
Operating on the only good eye is challenging both for patient and surgeon. The decision to operate should not be taken lightly and in this case there has been an in depth discussion.
The success rate is 98% success.
He is quite correct.....if anything goes wrong he WILL be totally blind, but the success rate is quoted above.
Honestly the operation is a doddle - I've had two. The important thing is follow instructions with the aftercare to the letter.

Good luck to your relative.
Question Author
Thank you all. Your responses will be copied and forwarded to my relative, I'm sure they will help him in his decision.
I have had both eyes done. One is perfect but the other is not.
I can see OK but the vision is blurred. I since went privately to have it corrected but this has not worked either so I have lost the £1600 it cost also. The specialist said that this was the less invasive option with a 95% success rate. The corrective other option would be 85% successful and invasive to which they would place another lense over the operation already done in the eye to remove the cataract. This is my experience only. Good luck.
Possibly worth noting that not having it done would result in the very situation your relative is worried about. So to look upon it as a chance to avoid blindness rather than a very very small chance of encountering it. Everyone I know who's been through it have come through it fine.
O_G....of course you are correct.
98% looks good odds UNLESS, you are in that 2%, then the odds don''t seem s exciting, especially as it is you one and only eye.
There may be other alternatives depending upon the divisibility of the patient, e.g spectacles, but by the looks of things this has been discussed with the Ophthalmic surgeon.
Again.....a difficult decision when one is discussing your one and only functioning eye, even with a 98% success rate.

1 to 9 of 9rss feed

Do you know the answer?

Cateract Operation

Answer Question >>

Related Questions