The difference between a Lake and a Loch?

Martian.Mark | 15:02 Tue 28th Nov 2006 | Environment
I have recently returned from Scotland were I stayed close to the lake of Menteith, apparently the only lake in Scotland. This may sound a strange statement to make as one may assume their would be a large number of lakes in Scotland. However their are plenty of Lochs up their aren't their. Am I right in thinking the term Loch decribs a large water that has a river flowing through it? The definition of a lake been a large body of still water with no in flow or out flow?

Answers

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Martian.Mark. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Nothing to do with water in or out flow. Both lakes and lochs can have one or both.Loch is simply a word of gaelic derivation and describes a body of water in the same way the english word lake does. Lake of Menteith is supposedly an accident in naming due to confusion with the word laigh meaning low ground
It's Lough in Ireland - same difference
There is no difference between a lake and a loch. Loch is our equivalent of an English (or otherwise) Lake. As for the Lake of Menteith, that's just what it's called. If those definitions you suggest were correct, there would be lakes AND lochs all over the world depending on the flow etc. As it is, Lochs only exist in Scotland and I think Ireland. The word is gaelic in origin.
xjx
Strangely,there is only one body of water in the Lake District, that is named lake, they are called Mere's or water's.