Cutting Back On Plastics

AB Editor | 11:53 Thu 15th Feb 2018 | Environment

This poll is closed.

• Yes, I actively try to buy/use less plastic - 147 votes
  • 59%
  • No, I don't try to use less plastic but I do recycle - 85 votes
  • 34%
  • No, I don't think my plastic usage is a big problem - 15 votes
  • 6%
  • Other (I will explain below) - 2 votes
  • 1%

See final stats

Stats until: 00:12 Wed 17th Oct 2018 (Refreshed every 5 minutes)

Answers

1 2 Next Last

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by AB Editor. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

I would like to see all the supermarkets insisting that their suppliers use biodegradable film wrappers. It does exist.
I do try, but it is an uphill struggle. I tend to do a lot of shopping online though (I HATE shopping) and the packaging is very OTT. Where possible I reuse or recycle.

I am very lucky inasmuch as I have a local farm shop and an old fashioned butchers so I can cut down my recyclable waste that way but when I move I dont know if I shall have such easy access to that type of outlet.
I usually use my sports bag when going to the local shop. Not really a concious thing just easier to carry. I do however have five Tesco 'Bags for life' which I always use. As for a recycle bin we don't have one, but when up at Bro's he has five and I often end up hunting down which is for which.
Iceland (Stores) has been among the first to make serious inroads, others are no doubt working on this and will be spurred on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/iceland-plastic-free-packaging-own-brand-products-recycling-pollution-environment-a8161081.html

On TV a day or two ago cellulose film lids were mentioned too as Hopkirk mentioned above.
Yesterday, I bought some small button mushrooms, from the Coop. They came in a bright blue plastic tray, covered by cling film. I cannot see why that tray should have been made from that paper-mache stuff that you some times see.
For should above, I meant shouldn't of course !
I have seen the plastic in India and it’s frightening the amount is unbelievable now here in Cyprus it’s getting bad nothing like India but bad enough,plastic bags for each item and they look at you in disbelief when you say no thanks
I think the question should read ‘single use’ plastics. They’re the ones everyone should be targeting first.
I get all my fruit and veg from the market stall. I will not buy anything that's sold in orange net.
The emphasis is or should be, on suppliers to act responsibly. Possibly on lawmakers too. Making the general public feel guilty when they've not insisted on excess packaging, nor on plastic wrapping generally, is not being reasonable. The general public have it imposed on them, they aren't responsible for it; but they're easier to kick.
I always buy loose from supermarkets.. try to use the mushroom bags rather than plastic...shops don't like that though
I once wrote to Morrisons and asked them why they felt the need to wrap each individual avocado and cucumber in plastic. They replied with the usual claptrap about how they care for the environment. Supermarkets need to be shamed into finding alternatives. In they US, some supermarkets such as Whole Foods use paper bags but many double bag everything - even when you only buy a few items. The UK can do it's bit but that's a drop in the ocean
Maybe I'm naive with this question but if plastics are recycled how do they end up in the ocean.

1 2 Next Last

Cutting Back On Plastics