Laptop wireless

I have an old ThinkPad (6/7yo, XP Pro) which will not connect to our broadband via wireless (cable OK). Support says it’s just too old. However, I noticed that 802.11b/g networks still give a box to enter the netkey whereas our ‘n’ doesn’t. Would a ‘Wireless N USB adapter’ work?
It’s not worth spending a lot but it would be nice to get it on wireless. If this is an option I’m looking at these 2:

Dlink Wireless N150 USB Adapter DWA-125

Netgear N300 Wireless USB Adapter WNA3100
I assume the N300 is faster but would it make much difference?

01:10 Sun 25th Mar 2012
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Alagopus. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

why not just get one of these?

at least you won't be spending as much!
Thanks for response but that think that's a bit too cheap (especially as they offer free post and packing).
Ok, but i use these "cheap" ones without any problems! Begrudge paying PC World £30 when the parts probably all come from the same factory anyway!