missing dll file

Hi All,
I have a bug in my computer, keep getting the message " sorry, a fatal error has occurred etc". I tried to load free AVG but at finish of loading it says that dll kernal 32 is missing. tried to download it,( KERNAL 32) but every time it says it needs to know what programme was used to create it, so go on web and let it search, and back to free dll adverts. any ideas?
Thank you.
13:30 Sat 21st Jan 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by percypineapple. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Kernel32 is legitimate, kernal32 is probably malware. You might have misspelled it?
Hi Toby,
yes, misspelt. I have just been told that if that dll is missing it probably means that yhe installation is corrupt, so will probably re load windows.
perc.
Hi Percy, You don't say which system you are using but in Win XP the file Kernel32.dll is in C:/Windows/System32 and also in C:/Windows/ServicePackfiles/i386.

If you can download the file from a DLL supplier on the internet and copy it into the above folders you should be OK. It's worth a try before reinstalling.