What is the circular, dome part on the roof of a mosque called?

What is the circular, dome part on the roof of a mosque called? Do they have a specific name? The round parts � sometimes just one, sometimes several, that sit on the top of the flat roof of a mosque.

Many thaks!

09:38 Thu 19th Apr 2007
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by kitty2. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

1 to 11 of 11

I think they are just called domes, Kitty. Or it could be a minaret...but i think they may possibly be the large towers behind the dome.
Yes, they are just called domes.
The Arabic word for dome I believe is Qubbat.

The minarets are the �calling towers� or originally the torch-lit watchtowers not the dome, from the Arabic �manara� meaning lighthouse (or literally - the place where fire burns).
An eyesore!
Question Author
Thank you for the quick responses. So, is it a term, as in, that part is called 'the dome' of the mosque, or could I say 'the domed roof of the mosque'? I'm writing an article so I need to get it right! Thanks again.
Not all the roof will be domed, so you would probably say the �dome of the mosque�.
ooh harsh.
OH no, not me, they blow up each others.
ah i see.
cupola ?

1 to 11 of 11

Latest posts