G.B.

If Yorkshire is the shire of York,Worcestershire is the shire of Worcester & Lincolnshire is the shire of Lincoln. Where the hell is Hamp & Berk ?
15:29 Mon 07th Nov 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by zabado. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Old English ''Hamm'' or ''Homm'' = water meadow, so Hampshire is the shire of the water meadows.
Berkshire, supposedly from a 9th century town within the present county named Berocsire.
Simples!
Hampshire was originally Southamptonshire, named after, would you believe, Southampton. http://www.visionofbr...ge.jsp?text_id=929180
I've looked at a couple of reference books and discovered that the county may have been called "Hamptonshire" rather that "Southamptonshire" but that city was the source of the name.
Thanks heathfield & jonathan-joe for your answers.Knowledge is a wonderful thing and I love learning. Ta!.