i was sent this riddle.

I was sent this riddle by someone in America. I cannot work it out. Any help would be appreciated.

As i went through a garden gap
Who should I meet but Dick red cap
A stick in his hand
A stone in his throat
If you tell me this riddle
I'll give you a groat.

Can any one help as this is driving me mad. Cas
15:04 Thu 13th May 2010

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by caslass. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

a cherry
cherry
Please tell me how you get this answer?
google the first line.
cherries are red with the stem bit being the stick in his hand and the stone in the centre, going through a garden gap i assume going through a gap into the orchard,
don't get the dick bit
About as clear as mud then.
sadly the dick red cap is a smutty bit I suspect. Dick with a red cap after taking a cherry or virginity It is probably an old english country riddle and they liked a bit of smut in those days
It's on a nursery rhyme site http://www.nurseryrhy...com/a_cherry-2613.php
so it might all be innocent.
about as innocent as baa baa black sheep
I was taught this version as a child (many moons ago)

Riddle-me, riddle-me. wrote`t wrote
I know a man in a red coat
A stick in his hand
A stone in his throat
Riddle-me, riddle-me, wrote `t wrote.

What am I ?
Answer - a cherry
In Scotland we said

A wee wee man with a red red coat
A stick in his hand and a stone in his throat
Who is he ?
A cherry.
The first 2 lines are pretty much just setting the scene aren't they.
You don't have to have an exact reason for every word in a riddle, just so long as none of it makes the claimed answer, wrong. Otherwise I want to know where the groat we were promised, is :-)