Last 2 - Sunday Telegraph

1D Not needing to offer a penny, however, doing business around east (7-7) I have thought-???d?n?
Also 17A Appeal endlessly in tests, creating precedents (8) ??a?p?e? (Examples ????) The 1st letter of 17A is the 2nd ? in 1D second part.

I think my brain's fried after looking at this for the last couple of hours - It's probably very easy but I just can't see it and it's close to bed-time!

Thanks for any help.
23:08 Sun 12th Feb 2012
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by EwingWhite. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

1d) thought reading = though trEading

17a) yes, appeal endlessly = PLE(a) in tests => EXAMS = EXAM ple S
thought reading

Though Tr e ading
Thanks to you both - bibblebub & kayakamina - at last I can now enter the crossword into the net and go to sleep a happy person.

Thanks again