what does this latin phrase mean?

benedictum benedicat
04:07 Sun 26th Sep 2004

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by brendandoyle. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

"He blesses (me with) a blessing" - or something similar.
'Benedictus benedicat' means 'Be blessed by Him who is blessed' or 'May the Blessed One give a blessing.'
"I am wearing an Italian sports top, $60 stonewash baggy jeans and a lot of real gold." Bene Dictus; chapter VIII
According to "A Book of Graces" by Caroline Martin, the Middle Temple (one of the Four Inns of Court) use "Benedictus benedicat " (Let the blessed bless) as a grace before dinner and "Benedicto benedicatur" (Let the blessed be blessed) as a grace afterwards.
The full grace that I am aware of is 'Benedictus benedicat per Iesu Christum domine nostrum'.
Re the 'full grace', all words governed by the preposition 'per' would need to be in the accusative case. So: per Iesum Christum, dominum nostrum.
Re the 'full grace', all words governed by the preposition 'per' would need to be in the accusative case. So: per Iesum Christum, Dominum Nostrum.
"Benedictus, Benedicat per Jesum Christum Dominum Nostrum (Blessed is He and may he bless [this food] through Jesus Christ Our Lord)"

http://en.wikipedia.o...t_Edmund_Hall,_Oxford
However the letter "J" does not occur in Latin, so this may have been substituted unconsciously.