Don't rain on my parade

what does 'don't rain on my parade' mean? in what context is this phrase used?
09:29 Tue 24th Aug 2004

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by kirti. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Don't Rain on my parade. Explanation: 1. To spoil something. 2. To spoil and event or plan.
The interperetation is literal - if you have planned a parade, which by definition will be an outside event, the one thing to ruin it would be rain on the day. Therefore, to 'rain on my parade' would be to spoil my proposed event, or in a less literal sense, don't spoil my good news.
The more uptodate version is "don't p*ss on my fire" Not so nice, but more graphic