Someone walked over my grave

Where does the saying "someone has just walked over my grave" originate from?
13:57 Fri 24th Nov 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by annikav77. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

The following (modified) sentence appears in Macbeth ..."By the tingling of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." (It's not 'tingling' in Shakespeare's version, but I'm sure AnswerBank won't allow me to use the actual word. If you need a clue, it's what you feel if you stick a needle into your finger.)
There's also the idea, if you shiver, that that means someone is walking over your eventual grave-site. An itchy palm means money is coming your way and there are many other similar beliefs. Burning ears mean someone is talking about you.
All of these examples are superstitious hangovers from the days of witchcraft/angels etc, when people believed they were constantly being offered signs and warnings of distant or future events.