Font of Knowledge

Is the expression:
Font of all knowledge
or
Fount of all knowledge
13:50 Fri 24th Nov 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Spike_Harley. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Strictly speaking, 'fountain of all knowledge' is correct rather than 'fount' or 'font'. All three are used nowadays, but the original �fountain' version was a 17th century quote and the other two are just more modern variants of that original.
The quote is from 'An Essay Concerning Human Understanding' by the philosopher, John Locke, published in 1690. Clearly, in it he was referring to God.
"Reason is natural revelation, whereby the eternal father of light, and fountain of all knowledge, communicates to mankind that portion of truth which he has laid within the reach of their natural facilities."
In a 14th century book, God was referred to as "the fountain of all goodness" and in the 16th century Book of Common Prayer there is a reference to "Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom".
However, Locke's quote - given above - is the earliest instance of the concept of knowledge having a �fountain' as its source.
Wow!! Thanks a lot. That's an answer and a half.
You get nothing less from the Quizmonster!
How kind of you. Thank you for that.
Have you considered as a source St. John of Damascus monumental work, "Fount of Knowledge?" It was written circa 746 AD. The translator’s introduction points out that "Fount of Knowledge" is one of the most “important single works produced in the Greek patristic period …offering as it does an extensive and lucid synthesis of the Greek theological science of the whole period. It is the first great Summa of theology to appear in either the East or the West.” Saint John is considered one of the great Fathers of the Church, and his writings hold a place of high honor in the Church. His critique of Islam, or “the heresy of the Ishmaelites,” is especially relevant for our times.
Have you considered Saint John’s monumental work, "Fount of Knowledge?" The translator’s introduction points out that "Fount of Knowledge" is one of the most important single works produced in the Greek patristic period,…offering as it does an extensive and lucid synthesis of the Greek theological science of the whole period. It was written circa 746 AD which was some 900 years before 'An Essay Concerning Human Understanding' by the philosopher, John Locke, published in 1690.