Why . . .

are the annual increases in prescription and dental charges always announced pre-budget? Not, I hope, because they will not receive such prominence. That would be deceitful, wouldn't it?
19:15 Fri 24th Feb 2012

Gromit
Best Answer
As you say, the precription charge is reviewed annually and the cost is recalculated, always upward to allow for inflation and to cover costs (or a% of cost). It will begin during the next financil year.

The rest of the budget is not annual, but is the whim of the present Chancellor. It is a money raising exercise, so one year he might hit drinkers, and the...
08:13 Sat 25th Feb 2012 Go To Best Answer

The rest of the budget is not annual, but is the whim of the present Chancellor. It is a money raising exercise, so one year he might hit drinkers, and the next year he might leave them alone. The mix is variable, and therefore cannot be annouced until the Chancellor lays all his plans out.
So we can save up..... to digress a bit, I was surprised the other day to have to pay a prescription charge for a sharps bin for nibble - surely if they prescribe a medication that has to be delivered by syringe, the cost of the sharps bin should be included?
I don't know but I reckon I'm the only one in the country who actually pays for a prescription. I have never seen anyone else actually pay!
Most people pre-pay.

Will save you a lot of money if you have regular medication.
move to god's land...Scotland...land of Irn Bru and free meds !
most of "gods" people seem not to prefer "gods" land, odd that!
For people on long term prescriptions it does seem a waste of documentation and manpower to restrict the dosage to just a month. Also the people that pay for them are being charged much more for their pills.