Avatar Image VHG

MP banned for only 7 days

So David Laws has only been banned for 7 days from Parliament for claiming thousands of pounds of extra expenses.

He claimed £40,000 to pay rent to his gay partner (not allowed under the rules). He was also found to have wrongly claimed some £2,000 for building work and £2,248 for telephone bills.

A report ruled the former Chief Secretary to the Treasury was "guilty of a series of SERIOUS breaches of the rules, over a CONSIDERABLE TIME".

Most of us would be sacked from our job for this sort of thing.

He gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist.
13:04 Thu 12th May 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by VHG. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

2 Next Last

very shady
So thats what Liberal stands for......liberal with taxpayers money?
Oh c'mon Rov that's like blaming him for being a thief because he's gay. Party lines have nothing to do with it.
Can you imagine working for a company that only has a little more than
635 employees, but, has the following employee statistics..

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

9 have been accused of writing bad cheques

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year

and collectively, this year alone, they have cost the British tax payer

£92,993,748 in expenses!!!

Which organisation is this?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons.

Just about says it all, really.
It has always struck me that the word 'expenses' seems to lessen the impact of what is, in fact, larceny.
He claimed £30,000 less than he could have legally.He was punished excessively in comparison to Jackie Smith , who was found to have deliberately fiddled her expenses for financial gain.She only had to make an apology.Vhg i think you have a very narrow view of this , perhaps , i cant be sure , but has his sexuality got anything to do with it ?Reading your post it would seem its not allowed for gay partners rather than partners in general?Hopefully this is just an error and an oversight on your part?
Annoying but only a splash in the ocean compared to what our European masters get through
Nothing like keeping to the point?Infact that was nothing like keeping to the point.
"He gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist"

would that be a limp wrist ?1
"So thats what Liberal stands for......liberal with taxpayers money? "

i'm suprised some of you lefties cant also find a racist slant to it, I suppose youve had to settle for second best on this one
Apparently the standards commissioner accepted Mr Laws' motivation was not financial but to keep his homosexuality secret. Quite how this can be is beyond me. Had he simply paid his rent and not claimed it nobody would have been any the wiser about who his landlord was and would not have learned that he was, in fact, his homosexual partner.

Mr Laws is said to be a talented and capable politician. This is undoubtedly true. If he can convince the authorities that his motivation for wrongfully trousering the thick end of £50k was anything other than financial he seems just the chap needed at the Treasury.
LOL NJ.
As i said earlier he saved the taxpayers 30 grand. If only some other Mps had done the same we would be far better off.This smacks of a homophobic witch hunt nothing more.Pathetic and totally unnecessary.More limp wrist jokes to come are there?Idiots.
£40,000 rent for his gay partner? That's one expensive rent boy!
Boom boom and the homophobia just keeps on coming. Amazingly poor taste mike.
David Laws fiddled his expenses - he is a very intelligent guy and knew what he was doing - at the time I found it distasteful that he used his sexuality as an excuse - it was lame and completely transparent - nobody cares that he's gay(excepting a few of the Daily Mail phobes)but everyone should care that he(and many other "honourable" members)are bent.
Avoiding the facts and banging the anti-gay drum.Quite boring now and actually rather insulting on the intelligence. But if thats what flies your kite?
Teddy_Boy.....not sure if you are intentionally missing the point - VHG is correct to say that MP's get away with things an ordinary citizen would be in trouble for....it must be nice to vote on your own pay rise and pension entitlements for example.
He didn't break any laws . And the thread has just turned into a gay bashing thread totally oblivious to the facts of the matter.He did wrong but the sentence wasnt equal to others.There's no parity.But keep on gay bashing if it makes you feel better.
Oh do lighten up! It's not gay-bashing, it's a joke. After 6 years at public school followed by four years in the RAF and four years at university I think I can lay claim to understanding the gay mindset. Most would find this hilarious and the jokes would be coming faster and thicker than anything I could concoct. Fortunately most of my acquaintances do not possess the po-faced Tatchell outlook on life.

2 Next Last