No more songs to compose?

Considering the amount of music has been composed since music was written down, will there ever come a time when all combinations of notes has been exhausted and no new tunes or songs can be composed because all possible combinations have been done?
08:28 Fri 02nd Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by dave50. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

It's already here, that's why whenever I hear a 'new' song I'm left thinking that sounded just like..........
No it's like the lottery numbers there will still be one set of numbers that won't come out .MINE. Lol
I dont think it is as much to do with the combination of notes but the STYLE of music that changes from decade to decade.

So for example Mozart, George Gershwin and Michael Jackson could all use the same combination of notes, but their music would sound totally different.

And the style of music will change over and over again.

Think how the music of the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and so on were all different.
With the number of plagiarism cases made for what sounds to me to be different tunes, I do wonder if it doesn't indicate there have only been so many combinations and tunes haven't been being rehashed, even if not consciously, and modified for years.