Enging Electronic Warning Light - what does it do ? Vauxhall Corsa

Can anyone help please. On my Vauxhall Corsa ( L reg) the Engine Electronic Warning Light is on all the time that the ignition is on. The engine runs perfectly but the handbook states that the engine has switched to an " emergency running programme ". How do I find out what, if anything has failed, without visiting an expensive Vauxhall main agent ? Thanks
15:07 Sat 11th Feb 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by 99hammer. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

A Vauxhall dealer can plug a device into the car's diagnostics and tell you exactly what the problem is. It won't take more than 10 minutes, so in theory it shouldn't cost much; however, some dealers take the p*ss and charge �50 for the privilege.

If you're feeling confident, there's a test you can do yourself with a paper clip which works for all fuel injection Vauxhalls up to end of 1999. Details here:

http://astra.autokacik.pl/download/aldl.pdf
You cannot find out yourselfe what has gone wrong, whilst the engine is in safe mode it is a bad idea to keep using it as you could damage the engine, you could really damage it if you start pushing paper clips into your highly sensitive electronics!

Thanks to both of you for your helpful answers, from which I have found that :- when the car is running the diagnosis codes are not shown (as its in safe mode ? as the light continually flashes on & off ) but when the ignition is on (but the car is not running) I get 4 different fault codes. 1) Crank Angle sensor - incorrect RPM. 2) Manifold Absolute Pressure (high voltage). 3) Coolant Temperature (low voltage). 4) Throttle Potentiometer (low voltage).