Breaking stories

Right, I'm watching BBC news and there has been a bus crash on the m5 this morning. All they have are some very sketchy details so they are now talking to some guy who is in the area (although I don't think he can see the accident). He is giving his idea of how the accident happened based on what he overheard someone say and is also suggesting there are fatalities. Of course there is a chance there may be but isn't it wrong they are taking this info off some bloke sat in traffic who can't even see what's going on? It's totally disrespectful and there may well be people sat watching that who were worried someone they know may have been involved. Hearing that there 'might' be dead bodies isn't going to help them.

Why can't they wait for official information? I feel like people like this guy were just desperate to get themselves on the tv regardless of whether he actually knows anything or not.

Right, got that off my chest now. Thanks.
09:25 Sat 24th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by EvianBaby. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

It's because it's news. The reporter has to be there for when there IS news - so he has to fill in his time somehow, to justify being there.
Modern media stinks doesn't it Evian? It seems more important to be the first with the story and pictures than to be even close to the correct facts!
It's sensationalism as per usual with the media nowadays,, if they can't get the full details they will give sketchy "insights" so that people take notice and listen to the news. Obviously they don't want to wait for the truth of something when it's "breaking news" so they have to keep your interest by trying to find anything that sounds like it's the real story IMO.
He wasn't a reporter. He was just some guy sitting in traffic.
No, I didn't mean the guy in the traffic - I meant the news reporter who was talking to him, someone from the BBC outside broadcast has to be there to report on it.
Then they should wait for him to get there or wait for an official update from the authorities.
I agree they should Evian but that's not how news is handled nowadays more's the pity.
He was there, evian - who do you think was holding the microphone that the guy in the traffic was speaking into?
Quite Daisya.

Boxtops, are you not reading what I wrote. The guy was on the phone to the presenter in the studio. He was sitting in traffic close to the scene but not visible. There was NO reporter there.
Isn't that why people watch motor sport or take cameras to airport roofs so they can say "I was there" and see their footage in the news? Our media is going the American route, I'm afraid. Standards don't matter any more, only being first does. Pick up any newspaper and you'll find any number of typos and other grammar "crimes" that would have lead to a caning at Grammar School. Oh Lordee, turning into my Dad at 45. Leaving it here, except to say - 'twas ever thus, I'm afraid. Guess we get the media we deserve.
If this was America, they'd have helicoptors hovering over the scene within minutes. Not a good thing.
OK, I'm not reading what you haven't written - it's only now that you've said that the chap was on the phone, you just said they were talking to "some guy in the area" so that sounded as if they were interviewing him. In which case yes, I agree with you - 15 minutes of fame.
Yes Pip, it is shocking how many people see something bad happen and there first thought is let's get the camera out and film it. It's a little disturbing and it's sad thats the way our media are happy to go.

Of course a story like this does have public interest and people want to know what's happening but I'd rather wait until there are some facts rather than idle gossip and hear say, especially where people's lives are concerned.
I am always amazed by how many people will rush out and film something on their mobile phones, often with the intention of flogging it to TV or newspapers.
It's gross. It's the last thing I would think of in those circumstances.
A friend was telling me recently he saw a traffic accident and immediately other people produced their mobile phones to take photographs. When he shouted"has anybody phoned for an ambulance?" they all said No. The thought of making money was more important then compassion.
Reminds me of two quotes from Graves' I, Claudius "Do you know what Rome is? Rome is the mob" and "He (Nero) will give them death and they will love him for it".

Sadly, as I say, 'twas ever thus.
Well there is one person dead and two trapped in the bus.