Duty Solicitor at Police station?

A parent has alledged her child mishandled at pre-school. Ofsted alerted, Social services told, but police want staff member to go to station for "informal chat and she can leave at any time". I have made a statement at work to police that no-one was hurt and we have witnesses to this effect but the problem is that our legal team have advised that she has the Duty Solicitor with her but the police have said thatDuty may not turn up and/or she could be waiting all day etc. etc. appt. is for tomorrow, question is should I hire a solicitor for her just in case ?
N.B. Police have said she will be making a recorded statement when I spoke to them under caution.
11:25 Thu 09th Feb 2012

tonywiltshire
Best Answer
The duty solicitor scheme, which operates in both police stations and courts, is a rota of criminal defence solicitors and it is perfectly true that if anyone goes to the police station and asks to speak to the duty solicitor before they have the “informal chat” with the police they may have a long wait before the duty solicitor is available.
To avoid a...
12:37 Thu 09th Feb 2012 Go To Best Answer

Can't the union provide a solicitor?
To avoid a possible long wait I would suggest you ask the member of staff to speak to a solicitor with experience of your local police before they attend, even if this means delaying the appointment, and see what the solicitor suggests is the appropriate course of action.
Rojash- Our legal advice team advised we use the duty solicitor.
Tony Wiltshire- I have contacted a reputable local solicitor who is accompanying my member of staff tomorrow. Also this is covered by Legal Aid. He was appalled that the police had tried to circumvent the duty solicitor and his firm are on the regular rota. I am annoyed we have had two conflicting stories about what it is that is happening at the interview. A DS says "chat", a PC says "statement under caution".

Thank you very much for your help.