Self certification during sickness

Due to the workforce being in a period in dispute can an employer refuse to accept self certification for sick pay. I recently sustained an injury at work, a memo from our HR department stated that no self certification would be accepted at this time. Can an employer do this?
14:57 Sun 02nd Nov 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Andy63. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

An employer cannot demand a sick note for the purposes of granting Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) until the 7th day. SSP is the amount that it can reclaim from the Government when employees are sick. This is shown here.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/employee_sick .htm#10

I suspect the trouble is that your employer pays its employees more than mere SSP? If that is the case, it can demand what it likes. I am sure you can appreciate why it might change the 'rules' temporarily when a bunch of staff have decided to withdraw their labour (aka put themselves in a breach of contract position).