Verbal and written warnings

My father is 68 and has been employed for 7 years, he was given a verbal warning yesterday and a written warning today, about his attitude towards another employee. This other employee continues to break the rules of the company, time keeping and mobile phone use. He told the manager that my father refused to allow him to stop on a business trip for him to eat (he suffers from diabetes), but they were both in different vehicles and when they did stop the other employee, did not eat, even though he had food in his vehicle.
What are the rules on verbal and written warnings?

23:10 Fri 11th Apr 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by meghol. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

correct procedure is one verbal (which then has to be confirmed in writing), one written and a final written warning before a dismissal.

this website should help with the full on politics involved:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employe es/ResolvingWorkplaceDisputes/DG_10028114
It sounds to me, like they just want to get rid of your father, maybe it's his age and they want to bring in someone younger.

Employers will use many tricks when they want to be rid of an employee, sometimes fabricating things and finding fault where there is none.

This has happened on two ocassions where I work, one employee had worked for the company for 10 years, but the new GM, wanted to bring in someone from his previous company, but in order to create a role, someone had to go.

They ended up putting a spy in and taking photos, trying to implicate her and find faults. They gave her a verbal and written warning and it seemed like only a matter of time before they gave her the push. She ended up leaving because the victimisation was becoming too much for her.

Your father should not take this kind of rubbish lying down. It can't be right or fair that your father's employers are taking his colleague 's word as the gospel. Sounds like he has grounds to sue for harassment, bullying and possible ageism.
It sounds like he has been given a verbal warning.
As EmEd says, verbal warnings are given verbally, then one receives a piece of paper confirming the verbal warning (bizarre though that may seem).
In the UK, once you reach 65 you cease to have any employment rights � you cannot take your employer to an industrial tribunal.

They can sack you anytime, for no reason � one of the many Human Rights we enjoy in the UK (being able to treat old people like sh!t).
In the UK since the 1st October 2006 this has not been the case.
Keep up to date, Hymie, before you start ranting.
This is the worst news I have heard in a long time (giving old people rights � whatever next?)

Buildersmate: could you please point me towards an authoritative website, noting this change in the law.
Thank you all for your information, it has been a great help :o)