working a week in hand

hi i'm leaving my job soon and i'm sure i worked a week in hand which i should get back when i leave, however when i started there 5 years ago as an apprentice i was getting paid �60 a week, now its aroung �260 take home. does anyone know whether i will get paid in my starting wages or in my currant wages.
thanks
00:24 Tue 11th Jul 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by wduk2005. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

If you work a week in hand you receive the previous week's wages each week. When you leave, you'll get that week's wages and the previous one too, so �520 in total.
This was standard practice when I worked in factories. They paid in cash then, and you had to go back to your old workplace the week after you left to pick up your last week's pay.
Some ppl seem to completely mis understand this 'week in hand' situation. You basically get paid a week after working, hence in week 25 you will be paid for week 24. When you leave you will be paid for the week previous, not the first week in the company !