Petrol costs

I am currently employed as a bench joiner working in a Joiners Shop(i never go on site). If i were to go self employed but stay with the same company. would i be able to claim mileage allowance for my journey to work which is approximately a 60 mile round trip.
23:13 Sat 26th Mar 2011
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Andyrory. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

1 to 4 of 4

Unfortunatley if you only work for the one company you're unlikley to be able to go self employed. However if you could, you would be able to offset the fuel costs against tax but I doubt if you could claim the money from the Joiners Shop if that's what you meant.
The only way you could be self employed and work with the one company would be for them to employ you as a contractor - but it's a dodgy way to do it, you have to keep all your own tax records and if you only work for the one company, the taxman's likely to say that you are not really self-employed.
There's a similar thread about self-employment here http://www.theanswerb.../Question1001428.html
no, travel to your normal place of work is not claimable

1 to 4 of 4

Related Questions

This has been driving me crazy of late, so I just had to let off steam somewhere.... With all the current debate about petrol (and diesel for that matter) costs and whose "fault" it is, a couple of...
I belong to a walking group and someone said that they wouldn't use their car to carry other walkers and share petrol costs as it might affect their insurance. Does anyone know the answer to this?...
Hi all I am trying to find a UK petrol Price comparison. Please could everyone just put there area plus AVERAGE Petrol and Diesel Costs. Thanks North Devon Petrol £128.9 Diesel £131.9...
Hi there my dad drove me from Pert,h to Edinburgh for 2 nights booked and paid for hotel 2 nights met my friends in Edinburgh today. Had a nice time but was overtired because I didn't sleep because of...
Hello, I am a self employed contractor that works on different building sites, I pay part cost of petrol as I am a non-driver. Is that a legitimate expenditure to put into my end of year tax return?...
Just wondered how I work it out? I have a family member who always wants me to pick up her child etc but she lives a few miles away. Its eating my petrol and I told her. She said she will pay me for...

Latest posts