Early retirement through ill health.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with PD and have continued teaching. I have now decided that it is too much for me to continue any longer. It is 5 years until my pensionable age of 60. Should I go to my GP and seek a medical note and be "sick" and then claim from the school sickness benefit for 28 weeks then take early retirement or should I just retire at the end of term? Is there anywhere that I can seek help? I do not belong to a union.
21:09 Mon 07th May 2007
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by elephanto. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

Only 1 answer

If you are a member of the Teacher's Pension Scheme Ill Health Early Retirement is an option open to you. See www.teacherspensions.co.uk.

Go and talk to your Personnel or HR Department. They will be able to help you look at your options.

Hope it works out OK.

Only 1 answer

Related Questions

Is it possible to claim any state benefits if taking early retirement through ill-health, and receiving a small private pension? Tried searching for a suitable web site but they all seem very baffling...
Dear Experts Can you offer me any advice please. I suffered a cerebral haemmorage October and recovering very well. I am left with emotional lability and memory problems and am currently off sick. I...

Latest posts