Why do my clothes come out of the washing machine covered in tiny bits of lint/fluff

Does anyone know what to do about alot of my clothes coming out of the washing machine covered in tiny bits of lint/fluff? They cover almost everything and have done for a long time. I have an expensive miele washing only a year old and changed because it kept happening in the last one. I don't mix the clothes, keeping towels seperate, and jumpers etc, but it still happens on all the washes. We have very hard water, could that make a difference?
16:18 Fri 15th Aug 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by loveswork. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Do you check for tissues in pockets or anything fluffy or similar on clothes which could be causing it?

Give the drum a good clean then do an empty cycle, a very hot one with a bit of bleach, white vinegar or anti limescale stuff. Lemon juice if it smells.

Make sure you regularly clean out the filter, especially if it has a tumble dryer in.

Get any lint out of the fabric softener drawer and give it a good clean, getting any gunk out with cotton buds.

Try not to overfill the machine, do more smaller loads so the fluff has more chance of getting drained off in the rinse cycle.
Are you sure it's 'fluff' and not calcified deposits? You say you have very hard water so I'd recommend using a water softener tablet in very wash. You can buy supermarket own brands much cheaper than the properitary brands advertised on tv.
Thanks. I have just cleaned the machine and put it on a hot wash with soda crystals so will see what that does and I do use a softener tablet with each wash. I'm not sure exactly what it is and I don't use a tumble dryer so it might not be lint, but it does look like lint all over the garment. I shall see what happens in the next few loads. Thanks
i think the limescale does cause the fluff to loosen, but i have more suggestions:
1.The machine can't be at fault, especially if it is a Miele
2. They could be calcium deposits, and if they are, I would reccomend one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18834/Plumbing/W ater-Treatment/Magnetic-Scale-Inhibitor?cm_re= SEARCHPROMO-_-MAGNETIC%20WATER-_-18834
much cheaper than tablets and will supply the whole house, they dont soften the water, but inhibit the limescale
3. Are they being washed on a too forceful cycle?
4. Are they being washed with strong detergent?
5. What temperature are they being washed at?
6. Is the load overloaded?

These can contribute to the fluff forming. I would also try cleaning the pump filter as well