How can i find out when my house was built

I need to know when my house was built for insurance purposes but I can't seem to find it anywhere. My landlord is away so I'm a bit stuck - any ideas? Found a few census sites but they cost and I don't want to pay!
11:06 Mon 09th Oct 2006

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by brionyw. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Describe the appearance and construction of your house - we may be able to identify the architectural period. If it's an old house then surely the insurers don't need the exact year.

Also, have you checked your deeds?
Hi
the insurers did want to know the exact year but I guess a rough one will have to do. I know it's Victorian but it's a conversion so quite hard to identify exactly. It has box windows not sash so I'm not sure if that is a feature from a particular age. It's definately a single brick with high ceilings - anything in particular I should be looking for?
Why not ask your neighbours? The sort of house you describe is usually one of several. But sounds more Edwardian than Victorian to me. Could be 1880 to 1910.

I wouldn�t worry about the exact age. That�s really only relevant for rebuild value, but as you mention a landlord (which means you won�t have Deeds) I�m expecting you�re only looking for contents insurance.
Census sites would not necessarily help you as there may have been a house on the site before yours was built, and roads have been known to be renumbered (ours was 30 years ago). Asking the neighbours seems the best idea.
Try your local Council, housing or planning department.
when was my house built
when was my house built