Building Work - Expensive!

We want to have an extension to our three bedroom semi and have found building quotes to be so much more than we and our architect initially thought. The 20% VAT rate isn't helping.....! Have seen on telly that some colleges run a scheme whereby students come and do work for you, supervised by lecturers which saves money. Any ideas where I can find out about this?
10:29 Thu 04th Aug 2011
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by legal girl. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

1 to 5 of 5

at a college?
Question Author
Thanks for that bednobs - have contacted local colleges and am waiting to hear. However, wondered whether there was a national website for it.
Sounds like a good scheme. I've never come across it though, so I'm sorry I can't help.
This VAT business............ one of the (legal) ways of getting around it is to open your own account at a local builders' merchants. They'll be only too glad to have your business, and you'll get trade prices etc.
Then, hire local tradesmen who are NOT VAT registered. Get a "labour only" quote from them ........... you provide the materials.
It would need co-operation and compromise from both sides to make it work, but it's often done.
and in additiona to The Builders post above.. remember... cheap can be expensive!!! Be sure to get references from the builder...!!!
Question Author
Thanks for the good advice guys.

1 to 5 of 5

Related Questions

So granda, remember that referendum back in 2014? Aye, what aboot it son? Just curious, what way did you vote granda? Well, (change in tone) I voted no son. Really granda, why did you choose to vote...
My husband and I have a wonderful house but we now need somewhere bigger. The builder who built our house 4 years ago is a small independent developer and not one of the big nationwide homebuilders....
Do you know if anyone has ever been successful in getting a grant or financial help towards work on a listed building? I think I am going to have to re-route drainpipes on the front of my house, and...
Long story - which I will cut very short... we have done some extensive building work - had a Party Wall Agreement drawn up with the neighbours. Some minor (and I mean really minor) damage was caused...
We are as having some building work done which will involve relocating both gas and electric meters. Does anyone know who has to do this work, the national grid website is not at all helpful. I know...

Latest posts