Dahlias

Do I have to take my Dahlia tubers every year and re-plant them in the spring?
17:27 Mon 29th Aug 2011

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by john1066. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

You can leave them in over the winter, but after last winter's severe cold, it might be risky in case it's like that again this year.
if you want to risk it and you live in the south then mulch well with straw and peg down some fleece over the top.... but I'd lift any that I really wanted to keep and take cuttings from the shoots in the spring so I had some back up plants
last year, we cut our dahlias down in Preston Park, Brighton and gave em serious mulch with woodchip and rotted green waste.

Despite a december which never saw the day temp rise above freezing, they've come back a treat and now look superb.