Cooker cable

I wish to connect a cooker with a total load of 11.2kw and wish to know whether I can use 6mm twin and earth cable.

Help would be gratefully appreciated.

19:35 Sun 16th Nov 2008
Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by recycle. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

For more on marking an answer as the "Best Answer", please visit our FAQ.

1 to 20 of 25

2 Next Last

-- answer removed --
A lot of people do
my son did mine!!!
Please don't.........Any electrician would automatically use 10mm cable for that ............ :o)
It is no longer legal, to connect a cooker, wherever you got it from, either purchased or received as a gift. Even buying a new cooker, the connection cable is no longer supplied.
The new ruling is that a householder must engage a Certified Electrician to undertake the fitting and supply of cable. If you think of doing the fitting yourself, you need to be aware that this action invalidates your household insurance. - Not a good idea.
-- answer removed --
-- answer removed --
Well said Knobby - another "bar room sparks" is more than we need here!!

Recycle - take a look here for a useful cable size calculator; oltageDrop.html
Sorry Knobby,
I wouldn't wish to contradict you, but the information I gave is quite correct if anyone would care to check. And a certified electrician has to provided the customer with a legal certificate. I'm not professing to be brainer than anyone else. Its just that I have recently bought a new cooker, and that's the information I was given, and checked with my household insurance company, who informed me that without the certificate, my household insurance would be invalid. I wouldn't like anyone to find themselves in the position of having no insurance when something happened. By the way, I am pretty calm.
-- answer removed --
Schutzengel, for the lowdown on what you can and can't "legally" do read this; ing-control-part-p-and-corgi-t1215.html

BTW ANY qualified electrician will tell you that BS7671, and "Part P" are NOT "laws" (merely guidance for best practice) or mandatory, therefore not complying with them is NOT a criminal offence or "illegal". The only legally enforceable "rules" are those contained in the Electricity At Work Act 1989 - i.e. an Act of Parliament entered into statutory law.

Maybe you should stick with answering the questions you are qualified to answer?
And your insurers obviously don't know jack either!
FAO no-knowledge.
Of course not - only if the event was a fire caused by the cooker connection being uncertified. Sorry, I should have explained that.
Thanks for clearing that up. I shall take great pleasure in informing my insurance company, that they don't know what they are talking about. It just goes to show how easily one can be mislead by the people who are supposed to know these things, and advise their customers correctly.
Many thanks. You'er a gem.
-- answer removed --
I should also have said thanks for the link.
.........BTW................thanks to all...I've just learnt a hell of a lot - especially from LCDMAN's link.......... :o)

Perhaps Schutzangel might be taking his name a little too literally........... LOL
.........BTW................thanks to all...I've just learnt a hell of a lot - especially from LCDMAN's link.......... :o)

Perhaps Schutzengel might be taking his name a little too literally........... LOL
ooooooooooooooh.........Doppelganger as well LOL
All this manly b1tching aside, a bloke I once worked with electrocuted his wife doing his own cooker wiring. Could end up unnecessarily complicated as I see it and well worth getting a qualified electrician in.

1 to 20 of 25

2 Next Last

Related Questions

I'm thinking of buying a freestanding electric induction cooker. There's a limited choice out there but it seems the ones I've found have typical power consumption of 17.1kw, 13.6kw, 12.0kw, 10.67kw...
On 25/02/08 nattye84 asked a question about this subject which was very well answered and understood Following on from this I need to install a 10mtr cable between the consumer box and the Isolation...
I am about to fit a split level cooker with the oven only running off electricity. What size cable do I require for the cooker circuit? Thanks
I am looking for a new built in oven which fits into a 13 amp plug.Some of the ovens advertised say they can be connected to an ordinary power socket, but no cable is included. Surely they should be...
My son is in a private rent house and wants to buy an electric cooker (oven/hob/grill) for the property. The landlord has provided an ordinary 13amp socket in the kitchen and has told my son he can...

Latest posts