Cooker cable

I wish to connect a cooker with a total load of 11.2kw and wish to know whether I can use 6mm twin and earth cable.

Help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
19:35 Sun 16th Nov 2008

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by recycle. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

2 Next Last

A lot of people do
my son did mine!!!
Please don't.........Any electrician would automatically use 10mm cable for that ............ :o)
Recycle,
It is no longer legal, to connect a cooker, wherever you got it from, either purchased or received as a gift. Even buying a new cooker, the connection cable is no longer supplied.
The new ruling is that a householder must engage a Certified Electrician to undertake the fitting and supply of cable. If you think of doing the fitting yourself, you need to be aware that this action invalidates your household insurance. - Not a good idea.
Well said Knobby - another "bar room sparks" is more than we need here!!

Recycle - take a look here for a useful cable size calculator;

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/V oltageDrop.html
Sorry Knobby,
I wouldn't wish to contradict you, but the information I gave is quite correct if anyone would care to check. And a certified electrician has to provided the customer with a legal certificate. I'm not professing to be brainer than anyone else. Its just that I have recently bought a new cooker, and that's the information I was given, and checked with my household insurance company, who informed me that without the certificate, my household insurance would be invalid. I wouldn't like anyone to find themselves in the position of having no insurance when something happened. By the way, I am pretty calm.
Schutzengel, for the lowdown on what you can and can't "legally" do read this;

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/build ing-control-part-p-and-corgi-t1215.html

BTW ANY qualified electrician will tell you that BS7671, and "Part P" are NOT "laws" (merely guidance for best practice) or mandatory, therefore not complying with them is NOT a criminal offence or "illegal". The only legally enforceable "rules" are those contained in the Electricity At Work Act 1989 - i.e. an Act of Parliament entered into statutory law.

Maybe you should stick with answering the questions you are qualified to answer?
And your insurers obviously don't know jack either!
FAO no-knowledge.
Of course not - only if the event was a fire caused by the cooker connection being uncertified. Sorry, I should have explained that.
LCDMAN.
Thanks for clearing that up. I shall take great pleasure in informing my insurance company, that they don't know what they are talking about. It just goes to show how easily one can be mislead by the people who are supposed to know these things, and advise their customers correctly.
Many thanks. You'er a gem.
I should also have said thanks for the link.
.........BTW................thanks to all...I've just learnt a hell of a lot - especially from LCDMAN's link.......... :o)

Perhaps Schutzangel might be taking his name a little too literally........... LOL

Perhaps Schutzengel might be taking his name a little too literally........... LOL
ooooooooooooooh.........Doppelganger as well LOL
All this manly b1tching aside, a bloke I once worked with electrocuted his wife doing his own cooker wiring. Could end up unnecessarily complicated as I see it and well worth getting a qualified electrician in.

2 Next Last