'My Old Dutch'

I would like to know where the term 'My Old Dutch' stems from. I understand there was a film made in 1934 called 'My Old Dutch' but am alos aware of a shop calling itself this name that celebrates not only war time fashion but Hollywood and post war glamour.
Ultimately though, what does the phrase actually mean and how does it originate????

Answers please!!!
18:23 Tue 24th Aug 2010

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by Jbird. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

I've always understood it was cockney, not rhyming slang but short for "Duchess".
possibly Duchess of Fife > wife, but probably not

http://www.phrases.or...ngs/my-old-dutch.html
There's also a pancake restaurant in High Holborn, London, called My Old Dutch.