smackers

In wartime, there was apparently a beer called smackers - what exactly was it please?
19:30 Sat 24th Mar 2012

Best Answer

No best answer has yet been selected by echokilo. Once a best answer has been selected, it will be shown here.

Smackers was beer that was drawn off the pumps and tap trays, in other words, it was the dregs, the slops. It was certainly sold, at about 10d a pint, but it was low-gravity beer. By comparison, in WW2, Ansells's Best Mild cost a shilling a pint.
Thanks Bookbinder ....... thought it may be something like that, so thanks for the confirmation.
Glad I could help.