PS1,2 and PS3

Can anyone explain in simple terms why you can play PS1 games on a PS3 but not PS2 games?
09:28 Sat 11th Feb 2012

VHG
Best Answer
The PS3 has "software emulation" on it so that when a PS1 game is playing it "thinks" it is playing on a PS1.

No PS2 emulation exists on the PS3 for PS2 games so they cant be played.

Older 60Gb PS3's COULD play PS2 games, but not the newer ones.
09:33 Sat 11th Feb 2012 Go To Best Answer

Every school kid knows that 1 will go into 3, but 2 won't. It has a remainder.
Because Sony still have a market for the PS2, albeit a small one, whereas the PS1 market is history.

For the PS3 to play PS2 games would quicken the end of the PS2 market and lose them money.