A tasty vegetarian and vegan alternative to chilli con carne. A wholesome healthy meal, ideal to warm you and your family up during winter months. If you want to make your meal a bit more fun try bean chilli wraps, perfect finger food. Chilli also goes great with jacket potatoes to make a delicious lunch.
Beans are wonderful food as well as been high in protein, they have a low glycemic index, so you will have plenty of energy for the rest of the day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- 1 tbsp flour (all purpose)
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 400g caned chopped tomatoes
- 400g caned red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 150 ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt and ground pepper to season
- Parsley to garnish
- Rice to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add the onion, peppers and garlic, sauté until softened.
- Stir the chilli powder and flour in, and cook stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, puree, kidney beans and hot vegetable stock. Cover and simmer gently, stiring occasionally, for 12 minutes.
- Season the bean chilli with salt and pepper.
- Serve with rice and garnish with parsley.