Rd Velvet Cake

Has anyone made this? When it says red food colouring does it mean the Supercook stuff in small bottles.It says 2 tbsp of liquid colour, I would,nt think those small bottles held that much.
23:36 Mon 27th Feb 2012

vodkancoke
Best Answer
It's delicious, it tastes like a light chocolate cake
23:48 Mon 27th Feb 2012 Go To Best Answer

2 Next Last

The only recipe i've seen for a red velvet cake called for the whole bottle! Still never attempted it!
Try and get the best quality you can afford...it makes a huge difference.
probably do mean that sort of colouring, they probably hold more than the required amount...........
Two tbsp is 30 ml, check the bottle size
Whenever I have made it I have used food colouring paste rather than the liquid. You get a better colour.
vodkancoke, what would you recommend bearing in mind I live in the sticks
All the recipes I've seen ask for that much - http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCake.html

Do get the best you can....either look online,or maybe there is a local shop that specialises in cake-making equipment.
Thanks everyone. Will try making one tomorrow and report back.Incidentally does it taste OK.
Now you're talking.!!
Lol it's my fave, hence my avatar!
have looked at recipes for Red Velvet Cake, never been tempted to make one!.........maybe I'll have a try now!.......
Hummingbird bakery recommend Dr Oetker red colouring as it is supposed to have a more vivid colour. It should be available in most supermarkets and the last time I saw someone make it they used a whole bottle.
That's why I use a good quality paste, you don't need as much of it and it has a more vibrant colour
never made one, but i love eating them.. mmmmmmm!
I am now thinking violet colouring for a purple velvet with a violet frosting and crystallised violets
Ooooh you could be on to something there rowan! :)
It would be a lovely feminine cake for mothers day
i have just been put off rvc for life :-(

2 Next Last